Reputed
to be the foggiest airport in America, the Eureka-Arcata (or is it
Arcata-Eureka?) airport is actually in neither city, but rather north
of them in the unincorporated community of McKinleyville, California.
It is just east of the coastline and Highway 101 and is bounded by
Airport Road to its south and Central Avenue to its east and
northeast. Though it is mostly flat (it has been artificially
graded), it is not entirely level. Its northwestern corner, in
particular, has a significant slope as it drops down toward Clam
Beach and the Pacific Ocean.
On
Google Maps, the airport resembles an irregular rectangle with a big
X in the middle made by two long runways. The compound is home to a
coast guard facility, a bus depot, a commuter terminal for flights to
and from San Francisco, and various facilities for helicopters and
private planes. Most of the actual space, however, consists of large
fields of grass, wildflowers, low-lying blackberry vines, and a few
other plants capable of withstanding the occasional mowing by
groundskeepers. The airport complex as a whole is too large (and
largely inaccessible) for this project so I have chosen to focus
exclusively on the southeastern corner of the facility where the
property line bulges outward to accommodate the terminus for the
longer of the two runways.
At this
point, Airport Road curves south to meet Central creating a little
triangle of quasi-wilderness complete with unmowed grass and shrubs
and a small stand of evergreens. This area, like the rest of the
airport, is blocked off by a tall chain link fence with razor-wire
along the top, but is readily observable from a muddy fringe of grass
and weeds that separates the fence from Central Avenue. This location
is just a short two-block walk from my house on Johnson Lane and so
it is here that I will be doing the bulk of my observations.
I drive
past the site about twice a day and frequently visit it when I go on
walks, so though I will be doing more detailed observations as part
of this assignment, some of the more interesting things I've seen
have come from the fleeting glimpses I get while doing other things.
Therefor, I'm not going to bother with exact dates. These entries
reflect my impressions over a period of time and are plainly being
typed up after the fact (mostly to spare you from my penmanship), so
specifying a specific date would be a bit disingenuous in any case.
No comments:
Post a Comment