I
don't recognize a lot of the birds around here. It's not my
environment yet, and I'm not much of a birder anyway, so it's hard. A
lot of the birds fall into the category of boring, brown, but that's
probably not a good enough excuse for my mental habit of classifying
them all as basically sparrows. Of course, if you take the time to
really look, you'll see that some of these finchy-looking guys have
very unsparrowish beaks and others are bigger or more noisy or have
differently shaped wings or whatever. Unfortunately, all that really
tells me is that that particular bird belongs in the category of “not
sparrows.” It doesn't really do anything to help me figure out what
that bird actually is.
I've always had a soft spot for birds, but my attention has mostly
focused in the direction of the majestic and flamboyant. I love
raptors and crows and parrots and mockingbirds because they have
larger-than-life personalities. Even just a hawk on its perch will
survey the world with a cold intensity that demands attention. That's
not the same for the boring little brown birds, or at least I never
expected that sort of thing from them. So it's with a certain degree
of embarrassment that I have to admit that for more than a month I
have failed to identify one of the most ubiquitous and iconic birds
in North America.
The realization came during a phone call to my mother. She asked me
how my nature writing was going and I began to describe a certain
bird I had seen around my site. It was about the size of a sparrow,
but had a red-orange breast and showed an irritable swagger in its
dealings with other birds. I had no idea what it was. “Are you sure
its not a robin?” she asked. There was a pause, followed by me
groaning for effect. Of course it was a robin.
Though they are a common sight for most Americans, I somehow
managed to grow up in a part of the country where robins are not so
common. Or, perhaps, they were there, but somehow I never really
noticed them. Maybe it's a matter of migration. In New England, where
my mom grew up, the robins disappear every fall and return in the
spring. Their comings and goings mark the change in the seasons and
the passing of the days. Do the birds in California do the same
thing? Some birds – many, many species, in fact – do migrate to
California to escape the northern winter. Others pass through on
their way to points further south. Robins in California might be
doing either, or they might just live here. Will these robins still
be in the airport field hunting for worms when summer comes or are
they, like so many visitors to Humboldt County, just looking for a
warm, comfortable place to crash for a while?
No comments:
Post a Comment